Re: [Shop-talk] septic fun

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] septic fun
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:10:14 -0500
As I understand it any water leaving the tank should be pretty clear,
leaving all the solids in the tank. If you have crusty stuff and soupy
stuff in the leach field lines, I'd expect the leach field to be plugged.

Our septic system started showing problems when it rained. The ground
would saturate and the leach field would not allow the system to drain.
Murphy's law had that happen on holidays when we had extra people in the
house! We bought the house second hand and the original owner had not
pumped the system in 20 years! Our leach field was almost totally
plugged up.

We were given a couple of bids to replace the leach field, both around
$9000. We found that we could get an aerobic system for $5500, so we had
the leach field disconnected and the aerobic system installed in its
place. We still have to have the septic tank pumped from time to time,
but it helps keep the aerobic system running better.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake eric@megageek.com:
> OK, so let's say that someone had a septic system that was clogged.  So he
> has the tank emptied so he can work on the outlet of the holding tank.
>
> Right as the water comes out of the holding tank, there is a build up of
> hard crusty, well you know, "matter."
>
> So, being resourceful, he digs out the pipe, replaces it with a new one and
> adds a washout right after the holding tank, but notices that there is
> soupy "matter" in the pipe that goes to the distribution box.  Not wanted
> to dig up the entire yard, (it's over a 150' run to the d' box), and
> wanting to finish his work before the light of day, he closes up his hole
> and makes it all pretty like.
>
> Now, my questions are as follows...
>
> First, what causes the "hard" matter to form? Is there a way to prevent it?
>
> Then, want can I put in the system to "break down" this matter?
>
> Lastly, how can you tell if you field is clogged or if the soupy matter in
> the line was just as a result of not having any water pushing it down (the
> septic was clogged for a while)?
>
> Again, this whole discussion is academic because I know that NO ONE would
> dare work on their own septic systems without getting all the necessary
> board of health permits and building permits and paying all that money to
> have their towns just give them a hard time.
>

> Moose
>
> "We all know we're dying, And there's no sign of a parachute."
>      Tori Amos

Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001
www.hornesystemstx.com