Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical Question

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical Question
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 09:16:22 -0500
Bob,

Sounds like you have leakage current flowing past the breaker. An easy
way to be sure is to turn the breaker off and check the voltage. Then
plug a lamp into one of the sockets on that circuit and turn the lamp
on. It should not come on. Now check the voltage across the switch again
and I suspect it will be zero.

Go ahead and replace the switch, then turn the breaker back on and
everything should be fine.

The reason you are seeing voltage on the switch is that the circuit is
open with the switch off. Any leakage current will produce a voltage
into an high resistance (open circuit). I wouldn't worry about it unless
there is still voltage (more than a volt or two)across the switch with
the lamp plugged in. If you have voltage, replace the breaker.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Bob Spidell:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001