Re: [Shop-talk] Acid sharpening?

To: cavanadd@verizon.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Acid sharpening?
From: BSHolden@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:20:24 EDT
Is this the stuff?:
_http://www.weldersource.com/chemsharp.html_
(http://www.weldersource.com/chemsharp.html)

Bart
In a message dated 9/14/2007 9:35:13 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
cavanadd@verizon.net writes:

Have we  talked about this one?  I believe it came up on my machinist's list
a  while back but nothing conclusive came of it.

I have a quart (plastic)  bottle of something called "Chemsharp".  I got it
mail order years  ago and it's apparently NLA for reasons that will become
obvious.   Anyway, it was sold as a chemical sharpener for files (and other
cutting  tools).  You clean an old file, soak it in the Chemsharp juice, and
the file comes out sharp.  It actually works very well; apparently as  the
teeth are dissolved, they form a sharp point.  I suspect it's  mostly some
sort of acid, possibly nitric, at some unknown dilution.   The stuff can be
re-used until it doesn't work any more, but I only have  the quart and would
like to get some more as I have just started a job as  a high school shop
teacher, and I have a bunch of files and rasps that  need sharpening, and I
don't want to use my own stuff if I can't get some  more.

I imagine this stuff is no longer available because whoever made  it was
either sued out of existence after some idiot rinsed his contacts  in it, or
they couldn't get liability insurance and folded, which is too  bad because
the stuff works very well.  Anyone have any ideas what  kind of more or less
readily acid would work, and at what dilution  level?  Should I just go up
to the chemistry lab storeroom and steal  a jug of nitric acid and use
that?  I promise to wear my goggles and  rubber apron.

Thanks
Dave  C