Re: [Shop-talk] crown molding

To: john niolon <jniolon@bham.rr.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] crown molding
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 09:12:33 -0500
John,

Eric is correct, cut the crown upside down and things will be much easier.

Corners of walls, whether inside or outside corners are rarely square,
so use some scrap pieces of crown to mock up the corners and adjust the
cuts to be really tight.

I prefer to cope inside corners. Coping runs one side of the corner all
the way to the wall, then cut away the back side of the intersecting
piece so that it fits the profile of the long piece. This allows for a
couple of things. If the corner is not square, there is enough leeway to
not have to fine tune the cuts. Secondly, with humidity changes the
coped joint will not open up as much as a mitered joint.

The easy way to determine the cope line is to cut the end of the crown
at a 45 deg, as you would for a mitered joint. Where the flat 45 deg end
meets the face of the trim will be the line you need to follow. Try it
on some scrap to determine how much back cut you need to do to get the
crown to match up.

It sounds a bit difficult, but it goes fast.

Peace,
Pat

 Thusly spake john niolon:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001