Re: [Shop-talk] Anode for compressor

To: "Jack Brooks" <jibjib@att.net>, "'Shop-Talk List'"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Anode for compressor
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 10:38:08 -0500
> I'm going to assume that this does not mean dropping a partial hot water
> heater anode into my compressor tank is foolish and proceed at my next
> opportunity.

Sounds possible that it'd help.  Why not ensure the connection by drilling a
brass contact bolt through an end cap and wire it to the anode with a long
braided wire as Kai suggested ?  Maybe some silicone grease on the contact
spots to make sure the connection stays good.

I've always scoffed at compressor tank corrosion as I've been lucky and
never have had a rust problem with my pre-WWII compressor tank.  However, I
recently got my 1977 2-HP compressor back from an extended loan (22 years).
It was nearly new when I loaned it out.  When I got it back I dug and
flushed about 10 double handfuls of black muck out of the tank - all rust.
And the interior is badly pitted.  I phosphated it to stop the corrosion for
now, but I'm still not sure I really want to even test it.

Karl