Re: [Shop-talk] Metric Hardware

To: MPittwood@compuserve.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Metric Hardware
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 08:28:34 -0700
> >It's my understanding that BS 1083:1965 says BSW and BSF
> bolts and nuts
> >of the same diameter have the same size hex.  I don't have a copy of
> >the standard, though, and I'm relying on Industrial Press to
> get things
> >right.  There's a table of sizes on page 1572 of the 27th edition.
>
> BS 1083:1951 and 916:1953 gives BSW and BSF bolts as
> identical in dimensions except for TPI. Source Kemp's
> Engineers Year Book 1962.

Thank you, David and Nick.  That clears up a long-held misunderstanding on
my part.

> Noticing the date makes me think it would be worthwhile
> moving into the 21st century. Anyone have any thoughts about
> book versus cd versions of Machinery's Handbook?

Ideally, I'd like one of each.  But if chosing only one, I'd go for the
print version; unless you've got a hardened PC in your shop.  Takes too long
to wash up and go in the house to check something on the computer (and I'm a
computer geek !)

Randall