Re: [Shop-talk] Garage tile

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Garage tile
From: "cornerexit" <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 12:40:22 -0700
I too would be interested in peoples experience with these tiles. Any
pictures of an actual working shop with these tiles would good as well.

I just don't see how they could be functional in a working shop, but I'm
sure there are things I am missing here.

In my shop I do a lot of work on the race car while it is on the two post
lift. This means there are all manner of spilled fluids, hot parts that are
cut off the car that land on the concrete, sparks from the welder that land
on the concrete etc. I just don't see how tiles can stand up to that kind of
thing? I also use a number of rolling tools/equipment while under the car on
the lift - trans jack, oil drain, welder, torch, differential stands etc and
I wonder how these things will roll around on top of the tiles?

In addition most every piece of equipment and storage cabinets in my shop is
on wheels so I can reconfigure the shop based on the current project.
I wonder how well rolling stock moves on these tiles. And I wonder how well
it would work if only part of the shop floor were tiled? How would I get the
rolling stock up the threshold onto the tiles or vice versa? My steel stock
rack on wheels and my ammo cabinets are pretty darn heavy to push around as
it is on the mostly smooth shop floor.

The other corner of the shop has the metal fab equipment - welder, welding
table, drill press, lathe, mill, grinders, bandsaw etc. In this area you
have sparks, metal chunks, oil, chips etc falling on the floor. I wonder how
easy that would be to clean up?

On the other hand I just installed a power rack, 300lb. Olympic weight set,
FID bench, and lat pulldown station in a corner of my shop and some sort of
tile or mat under that equipment might make working out a little nicer.

Wayne