Re: [Shop-talk] [Bulk] abrasive blasting with a pressure washer

To: "Rich White" <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>, "shop-talk List"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] [Bulk] abrasive blasting with a pressure washer
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 09:36:26 -0500
BTDT long ago with a set-up completely designed for this particular
application.  As everyone else says, it's MESSY, but of course not as dusty
as dry blasting.

An alternative (my favorite for this application) is Rust-Oleum "Extend".
It's a latex-type of phosphoric acid product that you just paint on and let
dry.  Knock off any loose rust first, but that's not a rigorous requirement
at all - if it doesn't flake off too badly, it's fine.  I've put it on very
rusty iron pario furniture and then neglected it for a year or more of
Chicago weather, and it's held up fine.  Just paint right over it whenever
you're ready.

Or if you feel that you really have to clean the steel before painting, why
not just use an abrasive flap wheel on a drill followed by phosphoric acid
(metal prep) ?

Karl