Re: [Shop-talk] OBD II code scanner

To: "Mark Andy" <mark@sccaprepared.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OBD II code scanner
From: "Chip Mautz" <clmautz@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 22:02:32 -0400
I use my $60 OBDII scanner/erase tool I got from Autozone.

Shop wanted $80 to read and clear an odbc code, credited toward
whatever 'repair' I required.

I bought the tool for $20 less and cleared the fault codes on my '99
BMW (gas cap, check engine light), so I could emission inspect the
car.  Worked like a champ.

Used it on a '99 BMW 323 (mine), a '99 BMW 540i/6, a 2000 Honda
Accord, and other OBDII cars.  Works like a champ.

Will clear codes, but won't fix problems - real problems come back.
Goofy stuff like gas caps loose, etc., are cleared immediately.

Oh, btw, I used it on the '99 BMW 323 that had dual front and dual
side air bags, didn't set any of them off...

Worth the money to me...

Chip

On 6/24/07, Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com> wrote:
> > I tried two HF units that looked really nice on
> > paper, except for how they
> > didn't work (like, at all) with either my two OBD II
> > vehicles.
>
> My experience with a $39.95-on-sale HF unit was the
> same.
> It said there were no codes even if there were.
>
> Doug

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."  Colin Powell