Re: While we're on the wiring subject

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: While we're on the wiring subject
From: jamesf@groupwbench.org
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:36:51 -0400 (EDT)
> I can do the work but don't know the ins and outs of safely doing this.

In my opinion, if you have to ask this, you aren't ready to do it. Read
"Wiring Simplified"

http://www.amazon.com/Wiring-Simplified-Based-National-Electrical/dp/0971977909

Then have someone who knows how to do it show you. There are lots of
details that are much more easily conveyed via direct instruction.

That said, you can do it 3 ways. Either of the ways you said will work,
though since you need a junction box in which to store the wire
connections, you might as well use the existing fixture box if there's
enough room (code tells you how many wires can fit in a box).

Thirdly you can buy lights with plugs already attached, and get a screw-in
outlet for the porcelain fixture. This third way may be against code in
some places.

jim