Re: Playsets: build vs. buy?

To: "PJ McGarvey" <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Playsets: build vs. buy?
From: "Patton Dickson" <57healey@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 11:13:18 -0500
PJ,

I built the playset at my last house for a few reasons. Even though I
am not an exceptionally skilled woodworker, I felt that I could
affordable build a better structure than I would have gotten from a
kit, and save a couple of thousand from the professional builders.

We went with the new pressure treated stuff, perhaps we shouldn't
have, but I felt that the risk was acceptable.  Perhaps painting it
would help seal it?

I'm a big guy, and my guideline to build it was if it could hold me
safely, and I accomplished that.   All told, I spent about $600 for a
2 level structure (sandbox down, clubhouse up) with two swings (room
for 3) and a slide.

I was lucky that the ground was nearly level, so I built the bottom
section and posts, leveled the top of the posts, then constructed all
measurements from the top.  I haven't ever built anything that way,
but I did it at a neighbors suggestion and it worked well and the
upper platform and the rails (spaced at 1' 1/2" intervals) were spot
on.  The only area that was a challenge from that was figuring the
height and leveling the A frame for the swing support.  I would think
that your idea would work as well if not better.

I never covered it as I had neighborhood restrictions as to height,
and I never got around to requesting the variance I needed before I
moved.

The only reason I haven't done the same at the new house is that our
yard is much smaller and we are 7 houses away from a park.

Good luck, I am sure your daughter will love it whatever you do.

Patton (two daughters 5 and 22 mos)