Attach or not attach arbor to house

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Attach or not attach arbor to house
From: "Patton Dickson" <57healey@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 09:19:39 -0600
We are expanding our patio at our house and are going to cover it with an
slatted arbor.  Because we have different heights on the roof lines were
this is going to go, and we don't want to cover the side with higher
windows, we are going to have the awning built above one of the roof lines.

The contractors we have talked to have different ideas about what to do
about the roof side.  Some are telling us that they will carry it over the
shingles and attach it directly to the house.  The others say that we need
to do them stand alone.  Any thoughts from you guys on what is better.  I
have having anything attached to my roof over shingles, that just seems to
add leak potential and make it a pain when it comes time to replace the
shingles in a few years.

Thanks
Patton

--
Patton Dickson - http://Austin-Healeys.com

1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six "Built to run 'til the road wears out."