Re: Best way to store small engine

To: cornerexit <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Best way to store small engine
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:51:13 -0500
On 1/28/07, cornerexit <cornerexit@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a portable generator (10hp, B&S gas engine) that gets used only
> occasionally. It may sit for two or three years then get used for a week or
> two etc.
>

> What is the best storage strategy to keep the carburetor functioning
> properly?
>

> 1.      Use stabil in the fuel mix hoping this keeps the carb from gumming
> up. Sometimes this method seems to work and other times it gums up even with
> the stabil over a period of years.
>

> 2.      Run the carb completely dry before storage. Sometimes this method
> seems to dry out the gaskets and screw up the carb anyway it seems.
>

> 3.      Use stabil in the fuel mix and force myself to dig the darn thing
> out once a year and run it. I don't like this idea of course.
>

> What say you?

Expecting an engine that's been stored for years to work reliably is
asking an awful lot.  Run it twice a year -- when you dig the lawn
mower out, and when you put the mower away.  Store it with fuel in it,
full tank, carb full, using Stabil or the like.  If you're relying on
the generator for emergency power in the event of a long outage, you
should probably run it once a month.

Running the engine dry is a bad idea.  If it's a two stroke, the oil
is the source of lubrication, so you're running it until its
unlubricated, then shutting it off.  Even if it's a four stroke,
you're unlikely to get all of the gas out of the carb, which will
leave a nice small volume to evaporate and leave varnish.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com