Re: Cutting ceramic floor tiles in place

Subject: Re: Cutting ceramic floor tiles in place
From: Charlie Schlismann <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 23:38:32 -0800 (PST)
--- Bill Gilroy <wmgilroy@gmail.com> wrote:

> I will have to cut back the ceramic floor tiles
> about 2 inches.  This
> tile is set on a piece of gray cement board.  Any
> ideas what is the best way
> to cut this tile without doing any damage to the
> rest of the floor.

Bill,

I have recently done something similar and used a
spiral saw with a masonry bit.  Mebbe it was me, but I
had a deuce of a time keeping a straight cut.  The
result was not neat, but as it was rough work, it was
not an issue.

I am looking at a similar job today, but neatness
counts on this one.  I'm looking into a dry diamond
blade and right angle attachment for the rotary saw.

FWIW, if the job is small enough, you can get a
similar set-up for most Dremel tools.

I won't be trying this out until Feb. 7, so I won't be
able to tell you how it works out until then.
However, I've researched the beans out of this problem
and it seems this is a good way to go.

HTH,
Charlie