Re: Parts Stores

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Parts Stores
From: malaboge@aol.com
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 02:37:41 -0500
OK, I gotta jump in here...

In a past life I spent far too many hours on the other side of a parts
counter! It's not all roses on the other side of that counter either.
Among the many people who had absolutely no idea of what king of car
they drove (replies like "my car", "a red one" "a four door" where
standard responses to the "what kinda car" question). A few stand out!
How many people know what a "zooz" is?
Had one fellow come in and ask for "end bells" for the generator of his
MG1100. Do you mean the plates at the end where it bolts to the block?
No, I mean the end bells! Bearings? No, are you an idiot? I said end
bells! Are they black blocks with wires attached? Where's your manager,
you obviousley don't know anything about cars! By now we've all been
conferring to no avail. The manager came out and the customer repeated
his request. The manager allowed as to how he couldn't figure out what
the guy needed either. About this time the customer got red-faced and
apologized to each and everyone of us. He wasn't looking for end bells
for his generator, that would be stupid...could we ever forgive him. He
wanted end bells for his distributor!

To this day I often wondered what he really wanted.

Ain't language swell...
       Nick in Nor Cal

across the web, free AOL Mail and more.