Re: Water pump and furnace emergency electrical connections

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Water pump and furnace emergency electrical connections
From: "Don Denning" <dondenning@classicnet.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:25:00 -0600
I've been following this discussion and decided to see what the local power
company here in south LA. put in their "Electric Service Standards".  They
should have lots of experience due to the storms we have every year.  Below
is what I copied and pasted from their manual. I had expected to see very
tight restrictions due to local knowledge. My friends son was killed due to
back feeding from a portable generator while he was working on restoring
service after Hurricane Andrew.

I have connected portable generators for my home service several times due
to the hurricanes. I usually work on generators and engines located on
offshore production platforms. Other than connecting temp. generators to
industrial plants, I don't get involved with land based stuff.

Don

8.21.2 In situations where a portable generator is to be connected by a
Customer, the Company shall be notified.

Portable generators shall only be connected to the premise wiring when the
Main Service Disconnect is in the Open or Off position and the generator is
adequately grounded to the system grounding electrode.

Operation in this manner should ensure the safety of the Customer and
Company Personnel.

End quote.