Re: Air line piping

Subject: Re: Air line piping
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 07:49:21 -0800
> But I've got older PVC pipe outside, and it's become quite brittle now
> after just a few years.  And I'm enough of a clod to be quite sure I'll
> smack something to those lines in the shop.  I don't want lines that are
> going to shatter when I do that, especially full of compressed air.

I might use Sch40 PVC for a line I'd set up for temporary use, but not
for anything I was going to leave in place for months or years.

Sch80 PVC is a whole lot stronger, but more expensive than any metallic
option.

> The copper is close enough in price to PVC to satisfy me.  It's not hard
> to set up.  I feared all the soldering myself when I did my first water
> pipe repair, but it really is easy to do.  And when I smack it with
> something, it just dents.

I did our house's gas piping in iron, but when it came to putting
compressed air in the walls I went with Type L copper.  Far easier to
work on-site, easier to repair in-place if something did happen to it.

John.