RE: waste antifreeze

To: "Shop-Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: waste antifreeze
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 13:01:40 -0800
> > Thanks Doug.  I didn't know that.  I'll see if I can
> > find more info.  I use
> > the poisonous type so I always felt that it
> > shouldn't be allowed to enter
> > the ground water.

Ethylene glycol biodegrades rapidly in the environment ... in fact, it's worst
effect is that it degrades so rapidly it can potentially take enough oxygen out
of the water to suffocate fish !  It's also not particularly poisonous when
heavily diluted (healthy human kidneys will remove it), kind of like grain
alcohol.

But the same is not necessarily true of the contaminants from your engine, like
lead from solder.  These remain problems even with the "non-poisonous" type.

Randall