removing stain from glass?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: removing stain from glass?
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 05:54:21 +0000
not even remotely shop related.  but if anybody'll know this, it'll be somebody
here.

the wife has found her perfect set of drinking glasses (this seems to be a big
deal).

problem: they have a hollow bubble blown into the base of each glass, which is
stained a color.  she doesn't like that.  she would like to buy the glasses and
have me remove the color.

(no, she saw no humor in my snappy remark, "funny, I missed telling you about
the couple years I spent as a glass blower in san francisco.")

I have no idea if this can be done, and all google searches turn up companies
that remove stains and scratches from automobile glass.

the best I can come up with is turning the glasses over and pouring an acid
into the bubble, letting it sit, and repeating if that has any effect.  the
hole into the bubble from the underside of the glass is too small to get a
mechanical anything in there to scratch it off, to say nothing of what that'd
look like when I was done.

anybody know anything about glass?  anybody as clueless as me but wanna hazard
a w.a.g. like me?  anybody wanna tell me why my wife thinks I can remove the
color from a bubble blown into a drinking glass?

at least I'll be able to get that drink I'm going to need so badly out of one
of them...