Re: Shop Press?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shop Press?
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:40:21 -0400
It's just an el-cheapo(crappo) HF bottle jack too.  I don't use the
air to do the actual pressing (normally) but just to get the ram to
the "close enough" position.  I haven't had to try and hang off the
handle and I've never tried to use a longer handle than came with the
jack either.  The way I figure it, if I give the handle a good solid
tug/squeeze and the press doesn't move, the alignment's wrong.

Do wear earplugs when pressing metal on metal (pressing out) because
the bang when things let go can be kind of, umm, what was that, speak
up i can't hear you, yeah that's it, loud.

At 08-10-2006 at 08:50, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Doug Braun's
keyboard and said:

>--- Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com> wrote:
>
> > I did just recently replace the bottle jack with a
> > pneumatic one to
> > save my shoulder.
> >

>So, how hard do you have to pull on the handle to get
>20 tons of pressure?  Obviously these cheap presses
>don't have a pressure gauge, but I guess you could
>calculate the total leverage and know the relationship
>between force on the jack handle to force at the
>ram...
>

>Doug

Cheers!