Re: concrete pad or?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: concrete pad or?
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:43:20 -0700
> Google grasscrete for most of the drive. Use a piece of wood or
> some-such for lying on.

We used a similar product called grasspave:

http://www.invisiblestructures.com/GP2/grasspave.htm

for the lawn area adjacent to our driveway, it's worked out quite well
for occasional traffic but you don't want to leave vehicles parked on it
for prolonged periods.

The material itself is basically a bunch of 3in-approx diameter x 3/16in
wall plastic rings molded together in sheets maybe 3ft by 4ft that snap
together into rolls.  The rings transfer surface loads to an underlying
base stout enough to hold the load.

The installation process is basically like putting in concrete pavers
and wouldn't be hard to DIY given an adequate rental-tool budget, you
excavate deep enough to lay in and mechanically compact several inches
of rock, then you lay sand over the rock, then the grasspave mesh, then
lay sod over the grasspave and roll it down with a heavy roller to force
it into the plastic rings.

I wouldn't consider it an ideal surface for doing vehicle maintenance
on, you'll need plywood etc to put under jacks, jackstands, and the
like, but I'm sure it's no worse than gravel.

John.