Orbital / Spin riveting?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Orbital / Spin riveting?
From: "Aric Datesman" <adatesman@speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:11:08 -0400
Howdy all,

I've got a project where I need to rivet some parts together such that they
are still able to rotate, so forming the rivet head the normal way won't
work because it increases the shank diameter.  Orbital or Spin riveting
seems to be the way to go, but there is a dearth of info on the web as far
as DIY goes.  So far the only thing I've found is a reference on a
blacksmithing site suggesting that one could make a usable spinning anvil
from W1 drill rod and chuck it in a drill press, but all that succeeded in
doing was making some nasty screeching sounds and make me worry about losing
a finger.

Anyone have any experience with or suggestions?  Peening them by hand with a
very small hammer worked ok if I went really slow and only tapped very
lightly, but I hate to think how long it would take that way to do all the
rivets.

Thanks much,

-aric.