Burying ethernet

To: Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Burying ethernet
From: Michael Lye <mlye@risd.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:52:16 -0400
I'm planning on running an ethernet cable to my shop/studio - about
100' from my house and the current network. Currently there is a
conduit for the cable and telephone connections that goes some of the
way from the house and ends by going a few feet up a telephone pole.
I'm wondering about running new conduit from the pole to the shop -
about 60' or so. I'm sure I could get some direct burial ethernet
cable but it seems like having the conduit might be worth it in the
future. Never having done this before, any suggestions on what type
of conduit? How deep it should be buried? Or anything to be concerned
about with this plan? The AC to the house runs underground in a
separate conduit some feet away.

I have considered wireless and might yet go that way but the range
may be pushing it and I'll be transferring some large files back and
forth regularly so the additional bandwidth of the cable would be
appreciated.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Michael