Soldering Chrome

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Soldering Chrome
From: "BOB Nogueira" <nogera@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 15:07:05 -0500
There's a down side to having more luck than smarts;
Several years ago I soldered a bar back on a car grill that had come loose(
the original was soldered by the factory (Morgan). I had no problem with the
chrome discoloring or the bar coming loose later.
Well I have the same problem on a different grill. I've forgotten exactly
how and what I did so as to not overheat the chrome.  Being older, and thus
wiser,  I am now afraid that I may end up ruining a otherwise nice grill by
bluing the chrome.
Anyone know how hot chrome has to get before it starts discoloring?
Suggestions for how to go about the project?  I'm thinking high heat to
quickly melt the solder then remove the heat before it can travel to the
chrome.
Also placing damp rages on the chrome that is near the soldering location.
Which blend of solder has the lowest melting point ?

Any suggestions

Thanks
Bob Nogueira