Re: stuck brake calipers

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: stuck brake calipers
From: tr3driver@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 05:24:31 +0000
> Any ideas for methods to get the pistons out with the calipers on the
> work bench? Obviously one idea is to use the master cylinder (before
> removing the calipers from the car). That works OK for the fronts
> where I can remove them from their mounts while leaving the flexible
> hose attached. But that doesn't work on the rears (solid axle -
> flexible hose is at the diff).

I must be missing something ... why do you have to dismount the cylinders
before forcing the pistons out ?  And if there is a reason, couldn't you make
up a short adapter to hook them back to the dangling hard line ?

> One thought was to get a grease gun and fill it with cheap-o brake
> fluid. But the grease gun I tried just leaks all over the place. I
> think it'd work fine if the part that is supposed to hold the grease
> cartridge could also hold liquids.
>
> Any other ideas?

Mercury Marine sells a grease gun that will also hold oil, should work for
brake fluid too.  Instead of a grease cartridge, it takes a "toothpaste tube",
also sold by Mercury and available with either grease or gear oil.  Sorry I
don't have a part number or link handy.

Randall