Re: Power washers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Power washers
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 18:47:02 -0800
At 01:37 PM 3/7/2006 -0500, Wayne wrote:

>At 03:54 AM 3/7/2006, you wrote:
>>It seems that I need a power washer ..... I would like a unit that is
>>well made but it will only get used a couple of times a month.  I figure
>>a gas power unit is the way to go.  Any suggestions
>
>I bought one @ Home Depot a couple years ago.  "Excell" by DeVilbiss, with
>a 5HP Honda engine (not some B&S piece of crap flat-head), decent
>construction, etc.  It lists for $388 right now.  I'd post a link, but
>they don't seem to work from HD's site.
>
>I've been extremely pleased with it;  only complaint is you can't adjust
>the pump pressure or engine speed.  It has a fairly large foot print in
>the garage with the wheel-barrow style handle.  BUT, it has a
>quick-release that lets you turn it around 180  -- more compact, plus it's
>balances over the chassis just right so you can carry it up stairs with
>one arm (and a little struggle.)

Hmmm.... That sounds similar to what I had until it was stolen last
fall.  Mine was "refurbished" and only
cost $240 or so.  Mine had the B&S engine and was throttlable if that a
real word.  There is no comparison
with an electric Karcher I borrowed.  The gas rig would strip that mixture
of grease and dirt that builds up on an
engine or rear end.  They're great for washing siding, decks, and walks.
    The only thing that was "wrong" with the one I bought was that it was
possible to pull the
pressure hose where it would contact the engine.  The hose would melt and
then it's another trip to HD for
a new hose@30 bucks.  Storage is an issue for me as well.  I wasn't to
happy losing the thing, but it was
nice not to have to store it this winter.  I'll probably go out and buy
another one, though, I really like them for
cleaning up a car before applying wrenches.

Steve Shipley