Re: Tankless whole-house water heater

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tankless whole-house water heater
From: Dave Williams <ronin@aristotle.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 08:32:47 -0600
John Miller wrote:

> Problem is, once it's gone, it's gone, and you're waiting a good long
> time to get *any*.  With tankless, you can run hot water all day long as
> long as you don't run too much of it at any one time.

  We have a 40-gallon gas water heater.  I typically use the whole tank
during a long shower.  The water temp drops down to 130F or so and
stabilizes, so once I've shut the cold water off completely, the shower
temp never gets lower than that.  Which is lukewarm for me, too hot for
my wife, so she showers after I do.

  As long as I don't want to steam up the bathroom in a mega-shower, our
old gas heater functions the same as a "tankless" water heater.   The
heater is >40 years old and the burner might have more oomph than modern
ones; it was made when people expected "hot" water to be HOT.