Unravelling old BX cable?

Subject: Unravelling old BX cable?
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 11:20:44 -0500
Installing a ceiling fan in place of a light fixture, I moved the
cloth-covered leads too much and one shorted against the armoring. I
guess they didn't have anti-short bushings in 1926. I need to unravel a
few winds of the armoring to expose the torn cloth and tape it up, but
the armoring is steel and won't come uncoiled. Is there a procedure to
this? I've only worked with modern aluminum(?) armored cable (which
unravels *too* easily).

Replacing the cabling isn't an option, there's no access above the
ceiling.

thanks,
jim