RE: Pulse chargers / parasitic voltage loss

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Pulse chargers / parasitic voltage loss
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:47:45 -0800
>   A trickle charger isn't going to quickly charge up a battery that is
> discharged to about 1 volt per cell (or one or two shorted cells?) as
> you report your battery to have been.

Also FWIW, I've discovered that the cheap battery maintainers from HF will
fail when connected to a deeply discharged battery.  I've killed two of them
so far.  Apparently the only current limit is the impedance of the
transformer (wall wart) windings, and something opens up inside the wall
wart.  Not sure if it's a deliberate overload device or just a burnt wire.

When I tried splicing in a wall wart with more current ability, the rest of
the unit melted ... before the wall wart died again.

The moral, I believe, is to only use battery "maintainers" to maintain a
fully charged battery.  Use a battery charger to charge a discharged
battery.

Randall