Re: Custom Garage Door Tracks?

To: doug@dougbraun.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Custom Garage Door Tracks?
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 11:32:49 -0500
At 10:33 AM 1/3/2006, you wrote:
>What I really want is are tracks that rise almost vertically almost
>to the ceiling, and then travel only a couple of feet horizontally,
>well out of the way of the car lift.
>Do you think this is possible using conventional vertical-lift
>residential garage door technology?

Two things come to mind:

* Most residential style overhead doors have the track slightly
angled back from the wall,  so the door is pressed against the seals
when closed.  But as it opens, it "pulls back" a slight
distance.  The track would need to accomodate this.

* The springs or whatever used to counter weight it would need to be
changed and adjusted, since the load will be larger and more constant
with the whole thing vertical.

A decent door company should be able to retro-fit as needed.

>Will a typical garage door installer be able or willing to deal with this?

As long as the counter weight is adjusted correctly,  the opener
shouldn't notice the difference.

   -Wayne