Re: Battery-backup sump pumps

To: doug@dougbraun.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Battery-backup sump pumps
From: "Chas. Schlismann" <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 06:34:27 -0800 (PST)
doug@dougbraun.com wrote:
Hello,

I am contemplating getting a battery-powered backup
sump pump for my new house (with a finished basement).
I have seen some systems (with a pump, battery box, charger,
and misc. fittings) at Sears, Ace Hardware, and the usual big-box home
home-improvement stores.

Has anybody installed one of these? Any recommendations?

  Doug,
  I installed an "Ace-in-the-Hole" back up pump many years ago.  The few times
it was needed, it did the job.  There may be better, more powerful pumps out
there, but it works for me.  A lot cheaper than other brands and a very
complete kit.  I'd compare the specs to your requirements before buying any
pump.  We periodically unplug our sump pump and let the back-up work a few
cycles under controlled circumstances.  I'll also swap the battery out and put
it to use for a bit in our trailer or car.  Aside from the pump output, battery
condition is the paramount factor for our situation.
  Charlie