small engine electrics

Subject: small engine electrics
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 15:44:54 -0500
I'm trying to get an orphaned Toro snowblower going. It has a Tecumseh
5hp with no spark. All small engines I've seen have a grounding kill
switch to shut them off, i.e. you ground the primary lead going to the
coil and it kills the spark. This one has a small wire coming from
under the engine cover and it's been hacked a bunch. It first gets
grounded to the engine cover via  a crimp-on ring connector. Then a
wire goes from there to the bottom of a plastic housing attached to the
throttle housing, which has a spring on the top that touches the
throttle lever in the Stop position. Seems to me the throttle grounds
this wire to kill the engine. The ring connector is definitely not
stock.

I get no spark with the ring connector grounded or hanging in mid air.
Could it be the wire _needs_ to be grounded to generate spark and my
problem is elsewhere? Removing the engine cover requires removing lots
of other things and most of my tools are at the other house so I don't
have much ambition to dig into it.

thanks...
jim