Heat question

To: Shop Talk <Shop-Talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heat question
From: John Bach <jbach@bgrcompanies.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 15:38:59 -0500
This is a question for the engineers on the list.  I am not an
engineer.  I live in NW Ohio (cold).  I have a separate garage/shop
heated with a natural gas furnace.  I normally set the temperature
around 50 when I leave and 65 when I am working.  It is currently about
25 outside.  My question.  Assume my thermostat starts my furnace when
the temperature drops 5 degrees from the current setting.  Does it take
more energy to raise the temp from 60 to 65 than from 45 to 50?  If no
then why am I turning it down and if yes, why?

Thanks in advance.