Re: Building a blast cabinet from a kit

To: doug@dougbraun.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Building a blast cabinet from a kit
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 20:28:40 -0800

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

At 04:20 PM 11/3/2005 -0500, doug@dougbraun.com wrote:

>shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
>http://fatchancegarage.com
>
>Hello,
>
>I just got a blast cabinet kit from TP Tools.  (It has the gun, plumbing,
>gloves, window, etc., etc.)
>Their plans suggest building the cabinet out of 3/4" plywood, and it needs
>almost 2 sheets.
>This means the cabinet will weigh over 200 lbs by the time I finish
>it.   Has anyone built one
>of these?  Do you think it is possible to use thinner wood for some or all
>of it,
>possibly with strategic reinforcing ribs, etc?

I made mine out of an old range hood for the top and used an
old metal shower stall for the metal for the lower.  With the range
hood, you get a blower(sucker?) that will pull the dust out of the
cabinet.

Not thinking far enough ahead, after a few minutes with the blaster,
the room is full of dust, while the interior of the cabinet is clear.

Steve Shipley