Radiator Plumbing Question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Radiator Plumbing Question
From: Steve Budde <super_racenut@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:29:51 -0500
Hi folks,

with winter coming on here in Chicago I am trying to solve a 35 year old
mystery.  My grandfather moved a radiator from one room to an enclosed
back porch.  It never really gets hot.  When I try to bleed it in the
fall (it's a hot water system) all of the other radiators will blow hot
air and eventually hot water.  This one sucks, literally.  I have tried
to use this to my advantage and used a tube and bucket of water to try
and fill it but it never really works.  Are radiators one way?,  baffled
inside?  I'm trying to figure out where to look for the problem.  When I
asked a plumber friend, he gladly offered to solve the problem, but
refused to offer any advise.  With the rate of a union plumber in
Chicago, I'll just keep the small electric one that I bought at the store
to keep the room usable, but I'd like to have heat from the big firebox
in the basement.

Steve Budde