Window Glazing

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Window Glazing
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:14:04 -0400
I got to have real fun this weekend - replacing a broken window pain in
a wooden frame.  I've done this in the past, so I had a handle on the basics.
I also managed to get my #2 son out to help, and showed him how to do it.

The real fun is re-glazing the new pane in place.  As most of you, that have
done this, when you try can smooth out the glazing with putty knife, the
glazing will pull out, or tear.  I don't know who told me, but many years
ago, I heard to use water on the putty knife and the glazing to try and
minimize the tearing and pulling of the glazzing.  Well I managed to get
it done, but there has to be a better way.

I finally looked up re-glazing window, and checked a half dozen or so sites
looking for a good hint to keep the glazing from tearing.

So my question you all you DIYers, what tricks do you use when trying to
smoothout and cut the glazing off the window?

TIA

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic