Re: laser levels, part 2

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: laser levels, part 2
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:31:11 -0400
OK, first let me say that I am ashamed of those of you who are trying to
discourage this purchase.  This is the shoptalk list.  I believe that tools
are a universal good and whoever acquires a large enough collection is
guaranteed admission to heaven.  :-)  Now that I've got that off my chest,
I have one of these:  Porter-Cable RoboToolz RT-7210-1 RoboLaser
Self-Leveling Laser Level.  You can look it up at amazon to see what it
is.  It doesn't spin fast and make a line.  It has a remote control, and
you can move the laser point left and right to the spot where you're
working.  The spot is much brighter than a line would be.  There's also a
prism sort of thing that can make a six foot or so dotted line.  For my
use, it seems great, because it's bright enough to see and I'm not using it
with other people who need the line near them.

As for the water level, I did that before I bought this.  I found that
using just a tube, I was constantly running between the two ends of the
tube and that meant having to tack the tube up in some way.  I found it to
be a major pain when working alone.  I bought this thing that attaches to
one end of the tube.  It's a little box, sort of the size of a stud finder
thing.  You line up the line where you want.  Then you go to the other
end.  As you raise the tube, when the water line hits the point on the box,
it makes noise.  I found this much easier to do when working without
another person at the other end.  It wasn't expensive either.  Look for
Zircon ElectraLevel Electronic Water Level.  It's on the Home Depot site
for $25.

-Steve