Re: Shop breaker box question

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: Shop breaker box question
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 19:32:10 -0700
Mark - I'm assuming this panel is wired as a subpanel off the house.  If
so, you should have a circuit breaker in your main panel that turns all
power to the outbuilding on and off.  If this breaker is about 2 inches
wide and has two wires coming off it, your outbuilding is wired for
220V.  If it has just one wire from the breaker, the building should be
110V.

I saw your later post about getting an electrician to help connect
things.  In your case, I think that is a great idea.

To do a sanity check on the quality of work in your subpanel, verify
that the ground and neutral come in on two different wires are are not
connected within the subpanel.  Neutral should be white, ground is
likely to be bare or green.  The only place they should be connected (in
the majority of applications) is in main breaker box of the house.  If
you have one wire in the subpanel that serves as both the ground and
neutral, chances are an electrician didn't do the work and you need to
have the whole electrical system looked at.  This is a safety issue.
Ground should always be ground.  Since the neutral wire carries current,
there is the potential for a voltage differential over the wire.  In a
long run and high current situation, it could be enough to cause a
problem by elevating 'ground'.

I read a bunch and thought this was all common sense (after you research
it).  I was surprised when the spa delivery guy asked me who wired the
subpanel for the spa.  I told him I did and asked what was wrong.  He
said nothing, it was the first panel of 5 he saw that day that was
actually wired properly.

A web search for subpanel, ground, and neutral should get you the same
information.

Brian - not an electrician, well trained