Re: Opening a PVC pipe in a hot tub, possible?

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Opening a PVC pipe in a hot tub, possible?
From: tr3driver@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 05:08:19 +0000
> Nolan Penney wrote:
> > There are also a variety of glues capable of bonding to PVC.  JBWeld
> > not being one of them.
>
>   Strange, I haven't tried it yet, but the JB Weld web site lists PVC in
> the "What does it bond to" section...

JB Weld sticks to PVC just fine, if you prep the surface as recommended.  First
roughen with coarse sandpaper, then wipe down with acetone.

I repaired a PVC chlorinator on my pool pump several years ago with JB Weld.
This is a 4" diameter PVC pipe that holds a strong (saturated) sodium
hypochlorite mixture under a pressure of about 30 psi (when the filter needs
servicing).  My first repair failed, not because the JB Weld separated from the
PVC, but because the epoxy itself was ripped apart by the pressure.  For my
second repair, I reinforced the JB Weld with fiberglass cloth (like that sold
for auto body work) and it's held for several years now.

Be sure to let it harden completely (24 hours), as uncured JB Weld will
dissolve in water.  I've also found the "5 minute" stuff to be much weaker than
the slow curing "original".

Randall