Opening a PVC pipe in a hot tub, possible?

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Opening a PVC pipe in a hot tub, possible?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 22:19:10 -0400
   I have a hot tub that recently developed a slow leak.

   Thankfully, the leak is very accessible. At the bottom of the filter
housing a pipe goes in one side and out the other.

   Each pipe is light-coloured PVC, and is glued in. One of the glue
seams is leaking slowly.

   Is there a way to open this connection in a way that I could reseal it?

   Alternatively, is there some sort of sealant that I could just apply?
It's not a pressured joint, just the weight of two feet of water above
it. Would be nice to just paint on some thick goop and forget about it.

   Ideas?

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca