Re: Belt drive lawn tractor... needs belts?

To: "E. John Puckett" <ejpuckett@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: Belt drive lawn tractor... needs belts?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:12:46 -0400
E. John Puckett wrote:

> If this is the smae type I used to have, which your description sounds
> like, there are 2 dirve blets, one form the engien to a center pulley,
> and a second one form the center pulley to the transaxle.  The middle
> sheave of the center pu;;ey moves up and down in sesponce to the speed
> lever tightening the belts, and works with a centrfical pulley to change
> the speed.  On mine the 3 pins that the cneter sheave slide on had
> become worn, and it would stick unless persuaded a little.  Replacing
> the 3 pins and lubricating the pulley aong with a new set of belts soved
> the problem.  It has bene several years ago that I sold mine, but at
> that time universla belts from an auto parts store would not work
> properly.  To get correct speeds I had to buy Sears belts.

   There is that center pulley, but from what I can tell, it doesn't
seem to move. But it's hard to tell through the inspection holes, all I
can do is feel it with my fingers, I can't see it.

   From what I can tell from peering into the inspection holes, the way
it works is that the speed lever controls how far "up" the brake pedal
can go. The brake pedal is connected to the back-most pulley.

   When the speed lever is in parking brake position (zero), it's
pushing the brake pedal. With the brake pedal down, the brake is engaged
and also the pulley assembly is slack.

   As you shift into the first low speeds, the pedal comes up, a big
pulley right between your legs moves backwards, and tensions the belt,
and you move forward.

   The more you shift into higher speeds, the more that pulley moves,
the more the belt gets tensioned, and the more it climbs up the variable
speed pulley and makes the tranny go faster. (the variable speed pulley
is on the carriage but actually runs another belt that goes to the tranny)

   So if I shift into 7th (top) speed, and release the pedal, it doesn't
come up that far and I move slowly. But if I pull the pedal up with my
toe, the speed picks up to normal.

   The pedal pressure seems normal enough, so I am wondering if new
belts will help.  I just picked up the new belts, and might as well put
them on anyways, but the only way I can see it working is if the
grippier rubber is more eager to climb up the variable speed pulley.

   Part of the reason this is a problem is that this is at my cottage
and I'm only there on weekends, but the parts dealers are near my house.
So every weekend I go back with a new idea and some new parts, the grass
gets longer. ;>

   Thanks all.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.