Re: boiling gas tanks

To: Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: boiling gas tanks
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 03:24:27 -0500
On 7/18/05, Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net> wrote:

> > anything I can do at home, to achieve this?
>
> I have found that filling them with water and letting it overflow for awhile
>(so
> anything that floats to the top is carried away), followed by drying in the
>sun,
> will remove all trace of fuel smell.  Might take a couple of tries, but I did
>it
> in one try.

I had a fuel tank that was rinsed with several hundred gallons of
water, washed thoroughly with soap and water, rinsed again, allowed to
dry for a week, rinsed again, and then allowed to dry again.  A
lighted match dropped into the tank caused it go "Woosh!"  rather
impressively.   After that, though, I'm pretty sure there weren't any
fumes left.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com