RE: 220v single phase wire size

To: Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: 220v single phase wire size
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:59:59 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

Ok, perhaps I should back up and ask a more proper question... :-)

For 220vac single phase outlets in a garage, what plug configuration
should I be using?

In the past I've used 3 wire range outlets, but as per the below, I think
I was using them incorrectly and probably should have been using a 3-wire
grounding outlet instead.

The devices I'll be powering are standard 220vac suitcase welders, plasma
cutter, air compressor, etc.  All of them currently have 3-wire non-ground
range plugs on them (which I suspect are actually wired to the device's
two line voltage inputs, along with the chassis ground).

Should I:

* convert everything to a 3 wire grounding outlet like
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=71246-334-1252-L
and use 6/2 wire to wire it up?

* leave the range plugs on the units and wire up the 3-wire non-grounding
range recepticals
(http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=71240-334-112-L&lpage=none)

with 6/3 wire leaving the saftey ground in the wire unconnected at the
receptical.

* covert everything a 4 wire grounding outlet like
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=71248-334-1212-L&lpage=none

and wire it all up with 6/3 wire?

I'd like this to all be done correctly & safely #1, and support any future
220vac stuff I might want in the garage in the future #2.

Thanks!

Mark