Re: A/C Clutch

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A/C Clutch
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 17:51:54 -0400
At 08:23 PM 6/21/2005 -0500, BOB Nogueira wrote:

>This week end I need to replace the AC compressor on my daughters car ( 98
>Toyota Corolla ). It's been many years since I last replaced an AC
>compressor ( Can you say York compressor  and .99 cent per can Freon?)

Bob,

I feel for you.  I just went through that twice with my 84 Honda Accord,
and then with my 95 Voyager van.  Oh what fun!!!

>Anyone know if I will need any special tool to remove and install the clutch
>assembly to the compressor ?
>Thanks again for any advise.

I can't say for sure on the Corolla, but when I bought both the compressors
for my cars, they came with the clutch.  Also looking at the loaner tools
at the auto parts stores, and in the manuals for my cars, they do show a
special puller to pull the clutch.  Hope this helps a little.

At least you're dealing with R134a and can get that anyplace.  My Accord
is R12.  Just refilled it a month ago, then blew a hose.

On the down side, you shouldn't have this problem, but on my Accord - not
taken apart in over 15 yrs, when I removed the hose from the compressor,
all the threads come off the compressor.  So I had to replace the hose
also.  I put a bit of antiseze on the threads when I put it back together.

If you Corolla is anything like my van, the 2 hoses connect to a plate that
is attached to the compressor by allen head bolts.  I removed the hoses from
the plate and put the compressor on in a vice to remove the allen head
bolts.  I was afraid I'd strip the bolts trying to get to them in the car.

You'll also need to replace the dryer.  On my Accord we didn't replace
the expansion valve.  When we charged it, it would cool.  Turns out that
the expansion valve was shot also.  On the van, I did all 3 parts at the
same time - compressor, dryer and expansion valve.

One other problem I ran into with the van, the dryer had a flat plate attached
to the input and output hoses.  The replacement seals were sort of a pear
shaped deal with rings around the main hole that the fluid/gas flows through.
When we put it together, it wouldn't seal.  The new seals were .014" and the
original were .017".  Ended up reusing the original seals to get the thing
to seal.

Also, my friend that was helping me do the work on my A/Cs has an addapter
that will fit the A/C fittings and then a quick disconnect for an air
compressor.  We charged the system with air from the shop air compressor 1st
to check for leaks.  Once we didn't find any, we went ahead and started
charging.

You might want to check you compressor and see if you get new "O" rings
also.  They didn't come with the one I bought for the van, so I had to
run all over town looking for them along with the pear shaped seals for
the dryer.

Good luck.  Let us know how it goes.

John

f you can