Mirafi needed? (was: Gravel/Dirt driveways)

To: Bill Rabel <brabel@dlux.net>
Subject: Mirafi needed? (was: Gravel/Dirt driveways)
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:08:42 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

The area that I need to make into driveway and parking lot does indeed get
reasonably wet at times...  Its currently lawn, and in the spring it gets
wet enough that the tractor will leave ruts, a pickup can get stuck,
walking on it gets your shoes wet & the lawn feels spongy, etc.

Is Mirafi appropriate for this kinda thing, or will just putting in 8" or
so total of a larger rock base with smaller rocks on top be enough to firm
stuff up?

Any idea as to the square foot / yard cost of Mirafi?  I've probably got
250' of driveway that I'd like to widen by 4' (existing driveway is
asphalt, but the 'shoulder' section I'd like to put in would be gravel),
plus about 6000 square feet of parking area.  The fabric sounds like a
great idea, but cost is definately a driver here...

So far, my process seems to be:

1) strip sod using a rented gas powered sod stripper Dunno what I'll do
with this...

2) rototill remaining soil to a depth of 8" or so.

3) scrape or dirt scoop away to a depth of 8" or so (put this soil in
backyard over the leach field that was put in last fall...  Its already
got soil over it, but we never smoothed it out, so now its a nightmare of
bumps/ruts/some grass/etc.  This time, we can put the soil there and
landscape rake it down smooth, then seed).

4) (maybe) lay down fabric barrier 5) put down a layer (5"?)of bigger
unwashed rock/limestone/whatever is cheaper locally.

5) lay down a final layer of 3" or so smaller unwashed rock.

Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks!

Mark