RE: Gravel/Dirt driveways

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Gravel/Dirt driveways
From: "ejrussell@mebtel.net" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 13:27:11 -0400
Subject: Gravel/Dirt driveways

Most of the driveways here in NC are gravel. My observations:

remove topsoil, spread stones, drive on it

You'll want to get crushed stone (not smooth stones) that also contains the
stone dust & small grit. The stone dust/grit is what packs down into a firm
surface. A common name here is 1/2" or 3/4" Crusher Run. Smooth stones will
never lock together.

I have one section where they delivered washed stone (no stone dust). It
has never firmed up.

I'd guess that 4-6" deep is good for driveways. When you mention truck &
trailer I assume you mean pick-up truck, not 18-wheeler...

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

http://mail2web.com/ .