Re: U-joints, 78 suburban

To: "Matt Wehland" <mattw@webtripper.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: U-joints, 78 suburban
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 15:27:46 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Wehland"

> What is the best guess on what is making the noise?
> Did I screw up the u-joint by over-torqueing?
> Dirt in the bearings from when I replaced everything?

When you say it is a one piece drive shaft I assume that means you could not
have re-assembled the U joints out of phase. i.e., it is *not* possible the
yokes are *not* aligned at 90 degrees to each other. No sliding joint
between the ends of the driveshaft?

If something got messed up on the rear U joint by grit or over tightening, I
think you could check by un-doing the front joint and moving the driveshaft
up & down and side to side. Methinks you'd be able to feel binding or
grinding if something wasn't right.

Or, you could wait for more knowledgeable folks to reply...

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell