Re: ups (uninterrupted power supply) questions?

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ups (uninterrupted power supply) questions?
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:58:16 -0800
Scott,

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I'm in the computer business and have
been exposed to UPS technology indirectly for many years, so I'll take
a stab at this with that caveat.

UPS stands for "uninterruptible power supply."  Basically, it's batteries,
a power supply and an inverter in one box.  The power supply converts AC
power to DC power to charge a battery and the battery supplies DC current
to the inverter, which in turn synthesizes an AC current--more or less--to
power your devices.  At least, this is the "active" type UPS ... a "passive"
type just passes the AC current to your devices, charges the batteries, then
turns on the inverter when the AC supply falls below a certain level; i.e. you
lose power.

The active type is preferred since there is truly no interruption of power to
your devices (since you're "running off the battery at all times").  The
passive can
cause a "blip" before the inverter cuts in totally, which may or may not cause
problem with your devices (might cause a computer to reboot).  Cheaper UPSes
will produce AC output that is more like a square wave, better ones will
produce
more of a sine wave.

Check this out:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question28.htm

Surge protectors come with different ratings ("joules" -- more is better).
Anyway,
some are rated for computers and some should only be used with power tools.
In addition, they do lose their effectiveness over time and should be replaced
occasionally.

This is informative:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/surge-protector.htm

Personally, unless you are really concerned about saving any documents you
are working on--and if you lose power a lot--I would buy top-notch surge
protectors.  Or, buy a UPS for your computer and monitor and put DVD players,
TVs, etc. on good-quality surge protectors.  UPS batteries will deteriorate over
time and need to be replaced (usually, it's cheaper to replace the UPS).

You now know more than the "ISC guy" at your wife's office ;)

bs

Subject: ups (uninterrupted power supply) questions?