Re: 2005 toyota tacoma

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 2005 toyota tacoma
From: Peter Murray <pete@partnercomm.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:27:31 -0500
I have used my ODB-II serial cable with the Ross VAG-COM software
connected to the USB-Serial adapter (bought at MicroCenter months ago)
with absolutely no trouble.

Your average laptop user these days has as much use for the serial port
as they have for the parallel port. The earlier versions of the Dell
Inspiron 8600 had serial and parallel ports - the more recent versions
do not have them at all.

That said, I'm considering buying the USB version of the adapter-
partially because it provides a cleaner interface and because it then
allows me to carry my license code for the software around (the
interface is the license).

Of course, the software applies mostly to my Audi... :)

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/

-Peter

Peter Murray (N3IXY)
Vienna, VA

Rand E wrote:

>Looks like they also have USB to serial adapters available.  I don't know if
>their is anything special about their adapter or if a generic adapter will
>work.  I don't know anything about the company but the ProVantage website
>seems to be the cheapest I found in a quick search.
>http://www.provantage.com/xc_DAVC.htm
>
>Randy

[snip]