Re: Car Lifts

To: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Subject: Re: Car Lifts
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:27:26 -0500
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 13:54:03 -0500, Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com> wrote:

> At 11:14 AM 2/7/2005, you wrote:
> >IMHO, buy a car lift.  They are the coolest thing!!  (I can't believe how
> >many times I life up cars "just to check the underside" since I put it in!
>
> Well, YEAH, duh!!  ;)   But I always figured they were out of my price
> range.  What did you buy, and what was the purchase & installation cost?
>
> I've seen 2 and 4 pole lifts for under $3000.  But with only 9.5ft
> ceilings, it would kinda be a waste.  Have seen tire shops and garages with
> these little drive-over mini lifts that get maybe 1 to 1.5 ft of
> lift.  That would be great for most all the home wrenching I do.  But I've
> never seen them advertised (though I haven't looked that hard either.)

A mid range lift is what you're looking for.  They're not commonly
sold to hobbyists, because they're not that much cheaper than a four
post lift, and you can't use them as a parking space increaser.  The
big advantage is that they're portable.  I expect there are also tax
advantages some places, as they're not permentally installed.  The
under car access is also restricted.  No problem for tires or brakes,
but a pain for exhaust, transmission etc...

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com